Purpose of test:
To assess aerobic endurance and lower body muscle endurance.
• Tape measure
• Masking tape or marker
Step 1: Establish the knee li! height
• Mark a point on the participant’s thigh, halfway between the participant’s
patella and iliac crest
• Measure from this point to the ground with a tape measure
• Place a mark on the wall with masking tape at the height from the ground to the
participant’s mid-thigh position.
Step 2: Give the participant these instructions
• On the instruction to start, step up and down on the spot.
• Lift your knees to the indicated mark on the wall.
• Continue to step as fast as you can for 2 minutes.
• If you tire, slow down or stop and rest.
Commonwealth of Australia. (2012). Fitness online toolbox: 2 minute step test. Retrieved