“The “Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health” address three age groups: 5–17 years old, 18–64 years old and 65 years old and above. These age groups were selected taking into consideration the nature and availability of the scientific evidence relevant to the prevention of noncommunicable diseases through physical activity” (WHO)
As well as meeting the physical activity guidelines, adults should aim to:
- Minimise the amount of time spent in prolonged sitting.
- Break up long periods of sitting as often as possible.
Tips and ideas for Adults (18-64 years)
- Walk or cycle to work
- Park the car further from work
- Use the stairs
- Go for a walk during your lunch break
- Organise walking meetings
- Try a new indoor activity if the weather is bad
- Try simple things such as:
- getting up to change the channel
- Walk while talking on the phone
- Set a timer on your tv to turn off to remind you to get up and move
- Move the rubbish bin away from your desk